Since 1951, sports activities were an integral part of the academic activities. Our college had a reputation in the past, winning Football, Hockey, Basketball and Athletic Inter-collegiate tournaments of Saugar University and Jabalpur University. Department continues its winning streak for the past 50 years. This department has produced many outstanding players of repute for the country, state and for the University. The department was managed single handedly by late. Mr. F.G. D' Mello, who was a strict disciplinarian, a renowned boxer and a great administrator in his field. He had extended his valuable service for 38 years to this department.
Along with ample support of Principal and staff our athletes reached glorious heights. Those days most of the subject teachers were in-charge of different team sports. Football, Hockey, Basketball, Athletics etc.). Prof. E.C. Daniel (Mathematics), Prof. Sivaraman (Physics) and Prof. Ms. Lobo (English) took great interest and enthusiasm to train the teams for different competitions which can not be forgotten.
Dr. Varghese C. Antony joined this department as a sports officer since 1988, under Mr. F. G. D'Mello and taken over the department in 1990 after his retirement at the age of 72 years. The aim of the department is to train different teams for the inter-collegiate tournaments. That is why this department works whole year even on Sundays. Normally we take part in all most all inter-collegiate tournaments in both men and women sections. Last many years we are sending teams of volleyball, football, hockey, table-tennis, badminton, chess, wrestling, athletics, cross-country, body building, cricket, basketball, swimming etc.
About 25 team of both men and women participate in inter collegiate tournament every year and from it 12 to 13 teams wins in inter collegiate tournament . Mr. Harish Dubey joined as a sports officer under the principal Dr. Fr. Davis George . Ms. Rohela Pillay joined St. Aloysius College as Asst. Sports.Officer under the principal Dr. Fr. Vazhan Arasu in the year 2014-15 . Our college organizes 5 to 6 inter collegiate tournament every year. Athletes represent RDVV Jabalpur for the inter-university competitions. In the year 1992,college has received a grant of Rs. One lakh and ten thousand only from the Central UGC to purchase sports equipment. Now we have 16 station multi-gym and some weight training equipment in the department.
Sports Department equipped with :
- Multipurpose gym separately for men and women both.
- 16 station gym for men, a treadmill and weight training equipment.
- women gym have 2 treadmill , 1 cross trainer , 3 cycles, 1 twister and 10 pairs of dumbles of different weight.
Department of Physical Education aims to provide the sports activities for the personality development of students with the Motto: "Sports for All".
- To make aware of the importance or benefits of physical activities in day to day life.
- To encourage the regular physical activities for a positive health life-style.
- To develop moral values through sports and games.
- To motivate the students for mass participation in sports/games.
- To enable the students, change their attitudes towards life (positive thinking, healthy criticism etc.)
- To promote co-operation between other organizations with similar objectives.
- Department provides safety and quality equipments for the practice and competition.
- College may form different sports clubs for better exposure to competitions
- To create interest among students aerobic exercises and yoga classes may be conducted.
- Department inform the dates of the different tournaments well in advance for the benefits of the students.
- Department recognize and encourage the outstanding sportsperson by presenting some incentives.
- To motivate the students workshops and seminars may be organized.
Name : Harish kumar Dubey
Designation : Sports Officer
Academic Qualifications :
- B.A., M.P.Ed, M.Phil
Research Papers Published:01
Specialization : Volleyball
Sports Report :