UG course in Biotechnology was started in 2004 with the combination of Chemistry, Zoology and Biotechnology, under the Department of Zoology and Biotechnology. Mrs. M. Sahasrabudhe was the first HOD of the Joint Department from 2004 – 2007. In the year 2007 Dr. Joydeep Dutta took over as the HOD of the Department. of Zoology and Biotechnology, till 2009. In December 2009 Dr. Asha Khanna took over as Head of Zoology & Biotechnology Department. The department started a PG course in Biotechnology in 2012. The Departments were then separated and started functioning independently from 2014 onwards. Dr. S. Bhuvaneswari took over as the Head of the Department in June 2016 and still continuing.
Biotechnology is taught by qualified faculty in meticulous detail and the teaching is supplemented with guest lecturers from qualified scientists from other institutes like Bioscience Department, R.D.V.V, Jabalpur, Animal Biotechnology Centre NDVS University Jabalpur, TFRI, and Directorate of Weed Science Research. The department has well equipped tissue culture chamber and a biotechnology lab with modern facilities required to run the course. The course is delivered in the form of formal lectures, practical classes and discussions of recent scientific literature. Power-point presentations, Multimedia, Inflibnet and digital library facilities are being frequently used to impart information.
"To provide knowledge that is relevant in the present time and helpful in pursuit of successful career".
- To create an environment where all-round development of the student in different fields (academics and personal) is possible to make them better citizens of the nation.
- To update our students with latest knowledge in the subject and to make them competent to get into institutes of national repute for further studies and employment.
- To make students pursue their goal patiently and make extra efforts to excel in their chosen field.
- Maximum interaction between students and teachers brings an informal environment in the department, which helps them become more confident.
- Various Assignments and Projects contribute towards increasing the knowledge as well as the habit of team work.
- The use of Internet, Library and News media further helps them in achieving the goals.
- A sense of belonging is most effective in fulfilling the mission and attaining the objectives.
- The students are guided and monitored regularly.
- By arranging Guest Lectures
- Information clips on the departmental notice board.
- The modified syllabi, which include latest experiments in Biotechnology.
- Educational trips are conducted.
|1.||Dr. Mrs. S. Bhuvaneshwari||M.Sc. , NET , Ph.D.|
|2.||Dr. Laxmikant Pandey||M.Sc., Ph.D., NET|
|3.||Ms. Yasmin Bano||M.Sc., M.Phil.|
|4.||Mr. Nitin Swamy||M.Sc.|
|5.||Mr. Enosh Phillips||M.Sc.|
ADVANCED DEPARTMENTAL EQUIPMENT FACILITIES
- Floid Cell Imaging Station
- UV Visual Microplate Spectrophotometer
- CO2 Incubator
- Cooling Centrifuge
- Shaking & Normal Incubator
- Tissue Homogenizer
- Refrigerated & Normal Centrifuge
- Trinocular Research Microscope with micro photographic attachment
- Laminar Air Flow
- UV Transilluminator
- UV Torch
- Deep Freezer
- Plant Tissue Culture Rack
- pH meter
- Water bath
Under Graduate Courses
The Department of Zoology & Biotechnology offers the following four courses at the undergraduate level :
- B.Sc Biotechnology- Chemistry, Biotechnology and Zoology.(BTZ)
- B.Sc Biotechnology- Chemistry, Biotechnology and Botany (BTB)
Post Graduate Courses
- M.Sc. in Biotechnology
Add-on Courses and Certificate Courses
- UGC sponsored Add-on Certificate Course on “Advance Biological Techniques”. Period – 2012-2017
- Certificate Course on “Basic and Innovative Techniques in Biotechnology”.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- UGC sponsored Major Research Project “An investigation of genotoxicity as an occupational hazard among bidi rollers to the exposure of tobacco dust”. The work was taken up by Dr. (Smt.) Asha Khanna, (Retd) Head, Biotechnology Department and Mr. Daya Shankar Gautam (Asst. Prof., Dept. Of Zoology) Grant – Rs.8,90,000/- (2011-2014).
- Interdepartmental research work is also carried out with Department of Botany, under Dr. Mamta Gokhle, Asst. Prof., on the topic ‘Study of Important Flavonoids isolated from Cell Cultures of Rare Medicinal Tree Sonpatha (Oroxylum indicum) (L) Vent.
- M.Sc. dissertation on “ DNA bar coding of a medicinal plant Anisochilus carnosus (L.f.).
- M.Sc. dissertation on “Isolation of bacteria from body and gill surface of some fresh water fishes and their biochemical and molecular characteristics”.
- Summer project on ‘A Study of the toxicity of Dimethoate on human lymphocytes and the ameliorative effect of root extract of Oroxylum indicum (L) Vent.’
- Research work for M.Sc. Students
- ‘Isolation of Endophytic Fungus from Neem Leaf and its Efficacy against its own Fungal Endophyte Fusarium’.
- ‘Estimation of Gelatin and Starch hydrolysis of Fungal species
- The PG students are doing several distinctive practical such as lymphocyte separation, cell toxicity study by MTT assay, plant tissue culture, human chromosome studies through lymphocyte culture, PCR amplification, Bacterial and plant DNA extraction, Bacterial genome and plasmid DNA isolation to name a few.
LIST OF JOURNALS
- Asian Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Environmental Sciences
- Indian Journal of Biotechnology
- Indian Journal of Experimental Biology
- International Journal of Scientific Research
- Journal of Biosciences
- Journal of Genetics
- Journal of Scientific Temper
- Current Science
- Resonance Journal of Science Education
- Everyman’s Science
- Life Science Research
- The SciTech Journal