The Department of Chemistry was established in the year 1951. The founder of the department was Mr. P. K. Matthew, M.Sc., L.L.B. Mr N.K Saxena became the Head of Department of Chemistry in the year 1971. Mr. N.D Sen joined as the Head of Department in 1992 then after Mr. B. P Namdeo served as Head of the Department from 1994 -1998. From 1998, Dr. Mrs. Anjali D’Souza took over and is the Head of Department.
Since then the department has progressed continuously, in the year 2003 Biochemistry was introduced as an optional course in the undergraduate program, Post Graduate course in Chemistry in 2011 and the department has been recognized as research center approved by Rani Durgawati Vishwavidyalaya, Jabalpur in 2015. Two members of the department have been registered as research guides.
|1.||Dr. Mrs. Smarika Lawrance (HOD)||M.Sc. ,B.Ed. Ph.D.|
|2.||Dr. Mrs. Anjali Dsouza||M.Sc. , Ph.D|
|3.||Dr. Mrs. Sutapa Roy||M.Sc. ,B.Ed., Ph.D.|
|4.||Dr. Mrs. Sweta Likhitkar||M.Sc. ,B.Ed., Ph.D.|
|5.||Dr. Mrs. Amita Chhatri||M.Sc. , Ph.D.|
|6.||Dr. Rupesh Thakur||M.Sc. ,Ph.D.|
|7.||Dr. Manju Gupta||M.Sc., Ph.D.|
|8.||Ms. Nidhi Khare||M.Sc. , B.Ed.|
- B.Sc. Chemistry
- B.Sc. Biochemistry
- M.Sc. Chemistry
- Ph.D. Chemistry
- For postgraduate course in Chemistry are organized regularly. Lectures are also delivered by scientists and professors on other topics.
- Certificate course on “Basic of IT and office automation” in collaboration with the Department of Computer Science.
- Certificate course on “Cosmetic Grooming and Nutritional Management”.
- Certificate course on Instrumentation and analytical Techniques in Chemistry and Biochemistry (Level I and II).
In-house Project: To kindle interest in research, amongst the student’s, in-house projects are arranged for the Postgraduate and Undergraduate students within the department and also in other colleges.
Industrial and Scientific Orientation: To bridge the gap between education and its application industrial visits are organized for the students of Chemistry and Biochemistry regularly.
- 2014: U.G.C has sanctioned a Minor Research Project Entitled “Designing of Iron oxide containing Super Paramagnetic starch Nanoparticles and Evaluation of Magnetically Guided Release Behavior of some Anti-tumor drug”.
- 2012: U.G.C has sanctioned a Minor Research Project Entitled “Biosorption of hazardous metals ions from polluted waters – An Eco-friendly and friendly green approach”.
- 2006: U.G.C has sanctioned another Minor Research Project Entitled "Developing a Cost Effective Method for Analysis, Mitigation and Defluoridation of drinking water in Jabalpur Mandala region".
- 2005: U.G.C has sanctioned a Minor Research Project Entitled "Synthesis and Characterization of Ni (II), Co (II) and Zn (II) complexes of some Biologically Active Schiff Base Derived From Sulpha Drug".
Seminars / Workshops / Conferences Organized:
- National Workshop on “Think Green and Sustainable” sponsored by UGC Bhopal held on 17-18 February 2017.
- National Workshop on “Basic and Applied Techniques in Chemistry”, was held from 5-7 November 2012 sponsored by UGC Delhi.
- Two days intercollegiate PG seminar on “Roadmap to a Successful Career in Chemical Sciences”, 9-10 March, 2016.
- A seminar for UG and PG students: “Fundamental Principles of Chemistry and Interpersonal Skills”, 19 - 20 March, 2015.
- A two day Interdisciplinary seminar for PG students: “Quest for Career Prospects” was organized from 9 -10 October 2013.
- Last five years publications by the faculty members: 50
- Chapters in Book: 05
- Book Edited: 01
Faculty Development Program:
- International Conference (Outside India): 01
- International Conference (Within India): 12
- International Workshop: 01
- National Conference: 11
- National Seminar: 13
- National Workshop: 28
- State level Seminar: 05
Departmental News Letter: Under the editorship of students a departmental newsletter “Disha” is published quarterly on different issues related to the field of science especially Chemistry.
Chemical Society: Chemical Society is a departmental Society, created with a motive to generate curiosity and love towards Chemistry in a simple and fun loving manner through various activities.
Rasaynika: It is a departmental activity held regularly since 2011 to tap the hidden talents of our students. This annual activity provides a platform to our students to showcase their talents under various heads. Different activities such as Chemical Rangoli, Chemical Mehandi, Debates, Antakshari, Quiz competition, Cartoon Making, Poster, Slogan Writing, Imagery wring enhance their oratory skills, perception, analytical skills, boost their confidence and also teaches them event and financial management skills.
Extension Activity: To develop a caring attitude towards the emotional and material needs of the underprivileged and disadvantaged section of the society we organize:
- Visit to orphanages, old age homes etc. for the students and faculty members.
- Mini- Fete “Koshish Ek Aasha”
- Financial aid is given to needy students and non-teaching staff.
|Type of Journals||International||National||Others|
|Peer Review Journals||56||17||-|
|Non-Peer Review Journals||-||-||-|
|With ISBN NO.||Without ISBN No.||Chapters in Edited Books|
Phone: 0761-2620738 extension- 213