The Department of Physics was established in 1951 with Mr. S.C Mookerjee as its founder Head. He took the Department along with the College to Academic heights, which firmly placed St. Aloysius’ College as the premium College in Madhya Pradesh in the 1950’s and 1960’s. He retired in 1985 and Mr N.P Shukla took over as Head of the Department from 1985 to 1994. Prof. C.G Bhagwat was the Head from 1994 to 1995. Dr. K. Das took over the reins of headship from 1995 onwards.
- Completed UGC sponsored Eight Minor and One Major UGC Research Projects.
- The department provides a very conducive atmosphere for students for research projects.
- A P.G. student has been placed in TIFR on the basis of project work done in the optical properties of polymers.
- More than 25 Papers/ abstracts of P.G / UG Students have been presented at National and International Level Conferences.
- One P.G. student attended a Summer School Program in IGCAR, Kalpakkam.
- Four Research Paper of PG students have been published in International Journal.
- Seven Students attended one week all India workshop on Experimental Physics for College College / University Teachers.
- One student has been placed in Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited.
- One PG student selected for Orientation Course – 2016 (OCAL-16) at RRCAT, Indore.
- One UG student attended Summer Research Program in Physics at IIT Bombay.
- One PG student attended Summer School at Institute of Plasma Research (IPR), Gandhinagar, Gujrat.
- Two PG students attended Refresher Course on Experimental Physics organized by Indian Academy Science at Indore.
- Extensive tutorials, Seminars, Assignments, & Power Point Presentations.
- In the session 2005-06 department has organized an Intercollegiate Competition on Power Point Presentations.
- Preparation of e-study material available on college website.
- E- Study Material prepared by the Department of Physics and hosted on the St. Aloysius College Website
- Regular participation in National, International Workshops, Seminars,Symposia. Actively involved in Research & Publication.
- Preparation of E-content available on international website
- Preparation of e-study material available on college website
- E- Study Material prepared by the Department of Physics and hosted on www.wolfram.com website
|1.||Dr. Pramod Chaitanya (HOD)||M.Sc. , Ph.D. , NET|
|2.||Dr. Kallol Das||M.Sc. , M.Phil., Ph.D. , D.H.M.S|
|2.||Dr. Mrs. Nisha Pandey||M.Sc. , Ph.D.|
|3.||Mrs. Poonam Pendke||M.Sc.|
|4.||Dr. Arunendra Patel||M.Sc. , Ph.D.|
|5.||Dr. Mrs. Deepti S. Deshpandey||M.Sc. , Ph.D. , B.Ed.|
Under Graduate Course
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)
Post Graduate Course
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Physics
- Ph.D. in Physics
- Certificate Course in Physics through Mathematica
- Certificate Course on Innovative Experiments through ExpEyes
- Certificate Course on PCB Designing Using Eagle Software.
RESEARCH AND ADVANCED FACILITIES PROVIDED BY THE DEPARTMENT:
- X-Ray Diffractometer (XRD)
- Atomic Force Microscope (AFM)
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer (FT-IR)
- Spectrophotometer (UV-VIS)
- Microhardness Tester
- Mathematica Software & Add ons
- Laser Based Experimentation
- Kerr Cell
- GM Counter
- Hall Effect Apparatus
- Four Probe Setup for DC Conductivity
- Computers with Wi-Fi Internet
- Impedance Analyzer
- KBr Press Pelletizer
- Multisim and Ultiboard Software
- Phoenix Experimental Kit
- ECG Trainer Kit
Along with the above facilities the department also provides consultancy services
- Student Publication : Reflections Vol-I 2014
- Students Publication: Reflections Vol 2 -2015
- Student Publication:Reflections Vol-3 - 2016
- E-vision January 2017
- E-Vision February 2017
EVENTS / ACTIVITIES
- The Department is the only centre in Jabalpur for National Graduate Physics Examination conducted by Indian Association of Physics Teachers.
- The department assists in the Conduction of the National Graduate Physics Examination organised by the Indian Association of Physics Teachers. This examination is non- remunerative and is conducted to promote and improve the level of understanding of Physics amongst college students.
- Department has conducted a three day Symposium on "RECENT DEVELOPMENTS IN MATERIAL SCIENCE" under the sponsorship of UGC, India.
- Department has conducted a two day symposium on "PHYSICS TODAY: CONTEMPORARY RESEARCH, IDEAS & INNOVATIVE TEACHING METHODS" under the sponsorship of IAPT& UGC, India.
- Department has conducted Three workshops on MATHEMATICA under the sponsorship of Sierra Atlantic.
- A four day National Workshop on “Teaching & Learning Physics Through Mathematica” funded by UGC, CRO, Bhopal.
- A two day workshop on “Statistics by Mathematica”
- Workshop on “Learning Physics Through Mathematica” in collaboration with Department of Computer Science sponsored by IAPT- RC09.
- Workshop on “Learning Statistics Through Mathematica” in collaboration with Department of Computer Science and Department of Economics.
- National Science Day Celebration.
- “National Robotics Workshop cum Championship” in collaboration with IIT Bombay & ARK Technosolutions.
- Workshop on “Innovative Experiments Using Expeyes”.
- A two day workshop on use of MATLAB for Analog Communication.
- A two day workshop on CISCO software for networking.
- A three day workshop on ARDUINO IDE board.
- A two day workshop on PCB designing.
RESEARCH GRANT RECEIVED:
The department has independently started on research projects and has been granted the following five minor research projects by the UGC:
- “Study on the Electro-deposition of Ternary Cd S1-x Sex film based on Solar cells”. Project granted by U.G.C., India, (Rs. 25,000/-)
- “ Study on the Electronic Properties of Halogen doped Polymer films” Project granted by U.G.C.,India, (Rs. 45,000/-)
- “ Nanostructure Modified Index of Doped Polymer Matrix” Project granted by U.G.C., India, (Rs. 90,000/-)
- “Electro Optic Properties of Laser Dopant doped Polymers” Project granted by U.G.C., India, (Rs. 90,000/-)
- “Electronic and Microhardness Properties of Rhodamine PMMA ” Project granted by U.G.C.,India, (Rs. 25,000/-)
- “Study of Various Parameters of Quantum Dot Lasers” Project granted by U.G.C., India, (Rs. 2,90,000/-)
- “Optical Profiling OF TiO2 doped PMMA films: a study of the refractive index, optical transition, optical band energy gap and urbach energy parameters” Project granted by U.G.C., India, (Rs. 5,00,000/-)
- “Development.Characterization and Physical Analysis of Polypyrrole and Montmorillionite Composites” Project granted by U.G.C., India, (Rs. 80,000/-)
- “Development and Characterization of Polypyrrole: Single wall carbon nanotubes: Poly vinyl Alcohol Composites” Project granted by U.G.C., India, (Rs. 11,19,800/-)
Total Outlay: Rs. 19,89,800/-
ONGOING RESEARCH ACTIVITIES:
The Faculty members of Department of Physics and Electronics are actively involved in following research field:
- Electronic properties of Polymers
- Optical Properties of Polymers
- Mechanical Properties of Polymers
- Structural Properties of Polymers
- Swelling and Biocompatibility study
- Theoretical Study on Noise
- Nanostructured Materials
- Computer based Theoretical Modeling
- Theoretical Study on Quantum Dot Laser
- Impedance Spectroscopy
- Biocompatibility of Polymers
PUBLICATIONS (Last Five Year):
- International Journals : 25
- International Conferences (within India) : 05
- International Conferences (outside India) : 01
- National Conferences : 19
- Workshops : 12
- Refresher Courses : 07