Department of Commerce works with a motto in “Pursuit of Excellence”. Since its establishment in the year 2003-04 the department has been at the forefront in catering to the needs of students pursuing UG and PG courses in commerce. The department focuses on imparting to its students holistic knowledge. Practical knowledge is imparted to student through various add-on courses, beyond curricular scholarly activities and training programs to bridge the gap between academia and industry .The faculty members are also actively involved in research and publication activities to broaden their horizon and explore new frontiers of knowledge.
Dr. Sonal Rai is Dean, Faculty of Commerce and Dr. Rupali Ahluwalia is the Head of Department. Dr. Mrs. Tarvinder Kaur Kainth is the Coordinator for Honours and Dr. Mrs. Ashu Jain Nougaraiya is the Coordinator of Tax Procedure and Practice.
To nurture intelligence and deeper commitment towards human welfare..
To facilitate an in-depth reflection and analysis of issues, problems and concerns, in order to assist and further the transformation that society needs
To articulate a positive approach to contemporary issues and offer ideas and opportunities of service and outreach in an academic environment.
- Courses Offered
- Applied Economics
- Tax Procedure and Practice
- Computer Applications
- B.Com. Honors
- M.Com. (with CBCS- Choice Based Credit System)
- B.Com. With US CMA (3 years degree program)
- The course will cover the CMA (Certified Management Accountant) content in 2 years and the content is divided in two parts-
- Part I- Financial Planning, Performance and Analytics.
- Part II- Strategic Financial Management.
- The exam will be conducted in third year. This certification is recognized by top MNC’s in India and across the world.
Certificate Courses and Add -On Courses
Name of the Course Sponsored by Duration Certificate Course in Computerized Accounting & Management with GST Tally Self Financed 6 months Certificate Course for Tax Return Filing Self Financed 6 months Certificate Course on Practical applicability of GST Self Financed 6 months Certificate Programm in Banking, Finance and Insurance Bajaj Finserv 3 Months
Programme-wise Student Teacher Ratio
- B. Com – 57:1
- B.Com Honors – 30:1
- Organized International Conference on “Open Doors! Reskilling and Upskilling for future industry and business in Collaboration with Miles Education” on 5-6 June 2020
- Organized ICSD International Conference on “Sustainable Development,” 22ND September, 2021 by The Faculty of Commerce and Management.
- Organized 02 days ICSSR sponsored National Seminar on “Role of Skill Development in transforming Indian Workforce” on 13th & 14th December, 2019.
- Organized 02 days UGC sponsored National Seminar on “New Dimensions in Corporate Social Responsibility” on 20th & 21st January, 2017.
- Organized 02 days National Seminar on “Make in India – Key for Economic Growth in India” Funded by ICSSR, New Delhi from 18th to 19th March, 2016.
- Organized 02 days UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Foreign Direct Investment: Indian Market Invasions and Economic Reforms” on 28th & 29th March, 2014.
- Guest lecture by Dr. S.K. Pahwa, Principal G.S. College of Commerce and Economics on management accounting held on 4th September 2017 for BCOM V semester students.
- Workshop on “GST in India: a step ahead in indirect tax” organized by department of tax procedure and practice was conducted on 15th September 2017. The chief guest of the event was Dr. S.K. Pahwa, Principal G.S. College of Commerce and Economics and keynote speaker was Mr. Narayan Mishra, Joint Commissioner Commercial Tax Jabalpur Division I and Mrs. Abha Jain, Deputy Commissioner Commercial Tax Jabalpur Circle I.
- Guest lecture by Abhishek Agrawal, Director TIME Institute on interview skills on 18th August 2017 for BCOM III semester Students.
- Seven Days Workshop on “GST TALLY” for Faculty Members Organized by Department of Tax Procedure & PracticeIn Collaboration with Department of Computer Application.The workshop was conducted from 21st August 2017 to 28th August 2017 (07 Days).Mr. Ashish Thakur, Director, Tally Institute, Baldeobagh Jabalpur was the Resource Person for the workshop.
- Health awareness program by Dr. Sonal Riccharia gynecologist, city hospital JBP and secretary, Jabalpur obstetrics and gynecological society and Dr. Chitra Jain, dietician on women health and hygiene held on 10th November 2017 for girl students of BCOM I and II year
- Parent teachers meeting was on 25th November 2017 for all the BCOM I year students at 12:30 pm
- 4 days workshop cum crash course on GST organized by department of commerce in collaboration with CGST Department, Jabalpur with participation by 200 students of B.Com. VI Sem. The Chief Guest of the Inaugural Session was Shri Manish Jaiswal, Joint Comm. CGST Department, Jabalpur and chief guest of valedictory function was Mr. P.K. Agrawal, Commissioner CGST department, Jabalpur.
- 2 Days National Workshop on e-Learning MOOCs and basic ICT tools for educators. The chief Guest was Professor A.K. Bakshi, Vice chancellor PDM University and guest of honor was Dr. Vimal Rarh, Joint director GADTLC, New Delhi.
- 7 days GST week was organized by CGST Department, Jabalpur in which 50 students participated in various activities conducted by the department from 1st July 2018 to 7th July 2018.
- Participation of Students of Commerce in GST week from 1st July 2018 to 7th July 2018 organized by Custom and GST department.
- Extention Activity
It’s not about being perfect but all about the amount of efforts that we put in . A person’s most valuable asset is never a head full of knowledge, but a heart full of love, an ear ready to listen and a hand willing to help others and then reveal the greatest version of themselves. The Aloysian fraternity equalises intellectual hike with philanthropy. We are fortunate enough to witness the goodness of our college through the “Extension Activity” organised by the department of Applied Economics and Honours on 1st March, 2019 in order to instill the values of cooperation, compassion, kindness unconditional love, respect for others and equanimity.
Students of first years of both streams took a joint move by collecting funds and brought lunch boxes .After the purchase, with heart-filled with gratitude, distributed the boxes to the non- teaching staff, as a mark of thankful gesture for offering their selfless service, which often works behind the curtains and act as limelight success of every major and minor event of our prestigious institution.
- Commencement of B.Com with US CMA on 1st August 2019.
- Bridge Classes for science background students conducted by Deartment of Tax held from 30th July to 7th August 2019
- Samwaad on “license Raaj Se Mukti Ka Desh Ki Vanijya Pranali Par Prabhav” was organised under “Smaran” Bharat Ratan Rajeev Gandhi Program conducted by Department of Commerce (Tax) on 20th Aug 2019.
- Inauguration ceremony of Certificate Programme in Banking, Finance and Insurance CPBFI was organised on 22 August 2019. Mr. Ajay sathe head customer relations and CSR of Bajaj graced the occasion. The program was inaugurated and students kit was distributed.
- On the occasion of Birth Anniversary of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel Department of Tax organised speech competition on Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel on 24 th October 2019. 7 students participated in the event and 3 winners were selected whereby 1 st position was secured by Ms. Aditi Pawar of B.Com. I year Tax “C”, 2 nd position by Mr. Rohan Upadhyay of B.Com. I year Tax “D” and 3 rd position was secured by Ms. Neeti Sharma of B.Com I year Tax “D”. Dr. Reena Thomas (Department of Hindi) and Dr. Niharika Singh (Department of English) were the judges of the competition.
- Organised Poster Making And Presentation Competition on 23th October 2019 on the topic Polution Free Deepawali by the department. Dr. Shikha Bansal and Dr. Priyanka Sinha were the judges. In which Amber Mishra student of B.Com. I year Applied Economics secured the first position.
- On the occasion of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel’s Birthday Department of Tax organised Quiz competition on Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel on 24 th October 2019. 4 Groups participated in the event and 1 group was declared the winner. The competition was conducted in 3 rounds and in each round 1 group was eliminated and winner group was from B.Com. II year Tax ‘F’.
- Department of Commerce Organised one day International Micro seminar on “Audit finance, Motivation and Professional grooming” on 2 November 2019. The Guest Speaker of the Seminar Was Mr. Jawaid Ali, Chief Internal Auditor, Saudi Maintenance Company (SIYANCO) Riyadh. He focused on the professional attitude and skills which a student should have while preparing their Curriculum Vitae and gave input on how a commerce graduate should portray themselves in the market while appearing in an interview. In the seminar more than 500 students attended and were benefitted by inputs given by the expert. The seminar was convened by Dr. Ashu Jain, Coordinator, Department of Tax Procedure (Commerce).
- Organised the Essay Writing Competiotion on 9th October 2019 to celebrate the birth anniversary of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. In which Ekta Amlani, the student of B.Com II year got the first rank.
- Organised the Speech Competiotion on 14th October 2019 on the topic Teachings and Achievements of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam and contributions towards the nation, in which Ms. Himani Shrivastava the student of B.Com Ist year got the first rank.
- On the occassion of Birth Anniversay of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel Department of Tax organised speech competition on Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel on 24th October 2019. 7 students participated in the event and 3 winners were selected whereby 1st position was secured by Ms. Aditi Pawar of B.Com. I year Tax “C”, 2nd position by Mr. Rohan Upadhyay of B.Com. I year Tax “D” and 3rd position was secured by Ms. Neeti Sharma of B.Com I year Tax “D”. Dr. Reena Thomas (Department of Hindi) and Dr. Niharika Singh (Department of English) were the judges of the competition.
- On the occassion of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel’s Birthday Department of Tax organised Quiz competition on Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel on 24th October 2019. 4 Groups participated in the event and 1 group was declared the winner. The competition was conducted in 3 rounds and in each round 1 group was eliminated and winner group was from B.Com. II year Tax ‘F’.
- Organised the Essay Writing Competiotion on 14th November 2019 to celebrate the birth anniversary of Pt. Jawahar lal Nehru, In which Sushil Kispotta, the student of B.Com II year (Hons) got the first rank.
- To encourage the students to widen their knowledge, an Inter-Class Management and Economics Quiz Competition was organized for Applied Economics & Honours ,I year students on 8th February ,2020 in which 40 students participated.
IMA, The Institute of Management Accountants holds a Global Student Case Competition every year.For which a case is given to the students that tests the analytical and illustrative power of the students, in areas of Accountancy, Management and Finance. After devising a solution, the students had to present by recording a Youtube video and upload it.Open Internationally, the Student Members of IMA are welcomed to participate and showcase their Management Accounting skills.Two teams of St. Aloysius College, Jabalpur submitted their solutions, out of which one was selected in the Final 4 in the globally acclaimed competition.The participants are Avantika Shukla, Devansh Gulabwani, Om Gupta and Srishti Chadda as team members and Harbaksh Moolchandani as Faculty Advisor.Along with Global representation and Finalist certificates, the students have also received a cash prize of $3000.
- Three days workshop on “Financial Literacy” Organized by Department of Commerce, St. Aloysius College (Autonomous), Jabalpur in collaboration with VITTSHALA, The Financial Literacy cell, Shri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi on 6th September to 8th September 2021. The workshop aimed to spread Financial Awareness among the students, facilitate the inclusion of deprived sections into the mainstream banking, insurance & financial services industry.
More than 300 students joined the three days’ workshop
- On Day 1 students get to know about the best usage of Banking system, Education loans, government schemes, Electronic money.
- On Day 2 students get the personal financial knowledge about income tax, savings & investments, insurance and compete in Fin Case Study competition.
- On the Final day students learned about growing money through the stock market & mutual funds and was rewarded by the Certificates.
Students on this Three days workshop not only got the information about the banking, loans, tax and investments but also they get enough skilled knowledge to plan their bright financial future.
- On 5th February 2022, Department of commerce in collaboration with department of economics has conducted Virtual panel discussion on budget 2022-23 from 11 am to 12:15 pm. The Members of the panel were Dr. Shailesh Choubey, Director, UIM, RDVV, Jabalpur, Dr. Gopal Chandra Mondal, CFO, IDFC Foundation and Prof. Ashwani Mahajan, Department of Economics, PGDAV College DU. More than 170 participants were benefitted from the event. budget brochure
- On Saturday 5th March 2022 Department of Commerce organised parents teacher meeting of B.Com. I year students from 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm.
- Offline sessions were conducted for Commerce students of US CMA of the college. The sessions were taken by Mr Abhijit Sengupta CMA, Faculty Miles Education Hyderabad. These sessions were based on Financial Planning and Reporting and Strategic Financial Management. The sessions were scheduled from 9th -11th March from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Under International Collaboration with East Carolina University, USA Department of Commerce has commenced Certificate Course in GLOBAL BUSINESS with Partner country La Salle University Columbia from 22nd March 2022 to 7th April 2022. This collaboration will provide the students the opportunity to explore Global Prospects in Business and Industry. There are 15 students from St. Aloysius College (Auto) Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh & 16 students from our Partner Country La Salle University Columbia.
Glimpses of Introductory session
- A Workshop on Solving Business Case Studies “ for B.Com II & III Year students organized on 16 July 2022, where more than 100 students took active participation.Speaker of the session Mr.Abhishek Agrawal ,Director T.I.M.E Jabalpur . ( Alumni of Indian School of Business ,10 years of Experience ) .Workshop aimed at enabling students to understand real business world Problem solving and Decision making
- A student’s Startup Meet for Motivating Young students toward taking the innovative initiatives for encouraging startups has been organized by ED Cell , Department of Commerce in association with Jabalpur Incubation Center on 23/07/2022 .Resource Persons For the Meet :
- Agranshu Dwivedi ( Start up Mentor JIC )
- Priyanka Soni ( Founder Persual Technology )
- Prakhar Mani Tripathi ( Ouranous Robotics )
- Bhupendra Verma ( Siya Organic Pvt.Ltd )
- Nikhil Bhatnagar (Founder Guruji Pvt. Ltd )
- Shweta Nema
- Neelesh Suryavanshi
- Department of Commerce has Started Global Business Course under the Collaboration with East Carolina University with our partner country Columbia fall semester from 18th August 2022. Timing of the
Class @ 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. First linking day was based on introductory session.
- The Orientation Programme for CMA students of Batch 2022 , has been organized at Conference hall on 26/08/2022. Through the induction Programme students were familiarized with the course details, examination pattern , scholarships available for the students which enables them to understand more about the course in detail.
- Based on the basic theoretical frameworks of management domains, several management games were organised for B.Com students by Dept. of Commerce on 17/09/2022 , where more than 50 students had participated, which are focused at the basic and fundamental principles of management. Major objective of these games was to enhance the analysing skills of students , to enable quick decision making, to make students cooperative and team players, and to give them long lasting impressions of the subjects, which they have learnt inside classrooms.
- St.Aloysius’ College Department of Commerce in Collaboration with Bajaj Finserv organized the Launch Event of Value added course CPBFI (Certificate Programme on Banking Finance and Insurance) on 30th September 2022. The inaugural of the skill development Program helped the students to understand the roadmap of CPBFI and course structure. Mr Sushant Parekh lead trainer pointed out core component of Bajaj Finserv’s employability initiative, which aimed at making graduates employable in banking, financial services and Insurance Industry. Principal Dr G. Vazhan Arasu and Head of Department Commerce Dr Rupali Ahluwalia expressed their gratitude towards the Bajaj CPBFI team for this program and told the students that they have the opportunity to learn from corporate trainer which would certainly help them have a practical understanding and bridge the gap between academia and industry.
- With the objective of attaining practical approach along with academic excellence Department of Commerce along with ED Cell has organized “Students Visit “ to Mahakoshal Chamber of Commerce & Industry to attend MSME (Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises ) workshop regarding Reuse and single use of Plastic.
- St. Aloysius’ College Department of Commerce organized a visit to “Sisters of the Poor Old Age Home “on 19 Nov 2022. The students made the collection and donated items of Food , essentials and Daily needs. The students then visited the inmates of the home and experienced the Joy of Giving. They had an enriching experience and spent quality time with the elderly and realized that they are very special people to be with.
- St.Aloysius’ college Department of Commerce organized “Fun One Game Vame” on 19th Nov 2022 as a Fund raising activity for “Bharat Business Conclave” In which more than 500 students participated . The students planned and executed various activities. It was a day of putting their planning and organizational skills and learnt budget management. The activities organized were
- Push Ups
- Arm wrestling
- Hook step challenge
- Lemon race
- Blow the balloon
- Spill the beans
- Buck it the Ball Lit the Candles
- St. Aloysius’ college Department of Commerce under MOU with St. Paul Institute of Professional Studies (SPIPS) Indore organized a Webinar On ” Practical Implications of Taxation Policy “ on 19 th Nov 2022 at 12:30 pm through Google Meet Platform .Dr. Dilip Koshta from St.Aloysius College was the Keynote Speaker. There were more than 100 participants from across the country, they expressed satisfaction and the talk was well received.
- St.Aloysius’ college Department of Commerce organized “Fun Vun Game Vame 2.0 ” on 26th Nov 2022 as a Fund raising activity for “Bharat Business Conclave” In which more than 500 students participated . The students planned and executed various activities. It was a day of putting their planning and organizational skills and learnt budget management. The activities organized were :
- ABC Cup Hunt .
- Crack the Dice .
- Blow the Ball .
- Three Legged Race .
- Lit the Candles .
- Talent Hunt .
Research and Publication
- Books authored – 9
- Books Edited – 08
- Minor Research Projects – 09
- Monograph Published – 03
- Chapters in Books – 151
- National Seminars Attended by Faculty Members – 241
- International Seminars Attended by Faculty Members – 37
- Papers published in peer reviewed journals – 75
Major Research Projects
- Dr. Rupali. Ahluwalia received a research project sanctioned by Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA) on the topic “India- ASEAN Trade Potentials (2018-2021)
Doctoral / Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- Dr. Rupali. Ahluwalia was awarded a Post – Doctoral Fellowship sanctioned by ICSSR on the topic “An Analysis of Indo- ASEAN trade potentials – Role of WTO” (2013-2015)
|Type of Journals||International||National||Others|
|Peer Review Journals||32||28||–|
|Non-Peer Review Journals||03||03||11|
|With ISBN NO.||Without ISBN No.||Chapters in Edited Books|