Motto: “Quality through Excellence”
Department of Zoology was established in the year 1998 with Mrs. M. Sahasrabudhe as the founder head and Coordinator of Bio-stream and offering B.Sc Zoology with the subject combination of Chemistry, Zoology and Botany. In 2002, the department started a course with the combination of Chemistry, Zoology and Biochemistry .In 2004, UG course in Biotechnology with the combination of Chemistry, Zoology and Biotechnology was started. In 2007 Dr. Joydeep Dutta took over the charge of HOD followed by Dr. Asha Khanna in 2009. In 2010 the department was upgraded into a postgraduate department and started offering M.Sc Zoology with dissertation in IV Semester (in lieu of 01 paper). In 2014 Dr. Parnashree Mukherjee took over as Head of the department followed by Dr. Priyanka Sinha in 2019. The department has a team of passionate and dedicated faculty members who are also actively involved in various research activities. Several research articles have been published by faculty members and by PG students in reputed journals. One book for the UG and PG students has been published. Department is actively involved in organizing various academic activities such as National level Seminars, Workshops, Departmental level skill oriented workshops , Summer trainings, hands on training and certificate courses for the holistic development of students.
- Under Graduate Courses
- B.Sc. Biology- Chemistry, Botany and Zoology. (CBZ)
- B.Sc Biotechnology- Chemistry, Biotechnology and Zoology.(BTZ)
- Post Graduate Course with CBCS System(Choice based credit system)
- M.Sc. in Zoology with dissertation in IV Semester
- Training program and Certificate Courses
- Hands on training on “Microtomy”
- Certificate Course on “Innovative Zoological practices”
STUDENT CENTRIC METHODS ADOPTED IN TEACHING AND LEARNING
- e- Study materials are prepared on regular basis by the faculty members and is accessible on the St. Aloysius College Website
- Bridge classes are recurrently conducted
- Tutorial classes- UG & PG CLASSES are regularly conducted
- Departmental remedial class for weak learners are frequently conducted .
- Guest lectures are organized on regular basis.
- ICT oriented teaching methods are followed along with board teaching.
- Translation of notes in hindi is done on regular basis for both UG and PG students
- Each one teach one practice is also followed.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT-
- The faculty members are actively involved in various research activities such as genotoxicity studies , immunological approaches ,biodiversity studies, Fisheries ,Malaria research, Dairy farming, entomological and limnological studies .
Minor Research project completed
Principal Investigator – Dr. Parnashree Mukherjee
- “Investigation of the biodiversity of road side insects of Jabalpur city with special reference to the physiological stress indicators and immunocompetencestatus”. (Granted by UGC, outlay Rs.3.7 lakh, Tenure – March 2015-2017).
Principal Investigator – Mrs Runa Paul
- “To investigate the effects of extracts (aqueous/ ethanolic) of different parts of Annonasquamosa Linn. on some immunological parameters of Clariasbatrachus as an imunostimulant which may be helpful in increasing the production of disease free healthy fishes”(Granted by UGC, outlay Rs.Two lakhs, Tenure – March 2015-2017).
Principal Investigator:- Dr.Joydeep Dutta
- “In vivo anti-mutagenic effect of Vitamin C against Enrofloxacin induced chromosomal aberrations in mouse bone marrow cells” (2007)
Major Research Project completed
Principal Investigator:- Dr. Asha Khanna and Co- Investigator – Dr. P. Mukherjee
- “An Investigation of Genotoxicity as an occupational hazard among Bidi rollers due to Tobacco dust” ( Granted by UGC, outlay Rs.8.9 lakh, Tenure – Feb 2011-14).
Publication by Faculty Members
|Book Chapter Published|
ADVANCED DEPARTMENTAL EQUIPMENT FACILITIES
- Trinocular Research Microscope with micro photographic attachment with ScopeImage software
- Cooling Centrifuge
- BOD Incubator
- Visual spectrophotometer
- Automatic razor sharpener
- Digital pH meter (Systronics)
- Ecotestor & Conductivity meter
- Camera lucida (Mirror type and Prism type)
- Turbidity meter
- Conductivity meter
- Distillation apparatus
- Vortex mixer
- Water bath
- Biochemical analyser
- Bacteriological colony counter
- Hot Air Oven