The Department of Chemistry works with the Motto “SOAR HIGH SEAGULLS”. Our Vission- “Search for Chemistry with in and beyond by observation and analysis to produce a better Human being”. Our Mission- ” We the department of chemistry will create and facilitate an environment for the students to Probe, Search, Learn and Evolve into an effective social being.”
The department was established in the year 1951. Since then the department has progressed continuously, in the year 2003 Biochemistry was introduced as an optional course in the undergraduate program, Post Graduate course in Chemistry in 2011 and the department has been recognized as research center approved by Rani Durgawati Vishwavidyalaya, Jabalpur in 2015. Two members of the department have been registered as research guides.
|Name of HOD||Tenure|
|Mr. P. K. Matthew (Founder)||1951||1971|
|Mr N.K Saxena||1971||1992|
|Mr. N.D Sen||1992||1994|
|Mr. B. P Namdeo||1994||1998|
|Dr. Anjali D’Souza||1998||2017|
|Dr. Smarika Lawrance||2017||Till date|
|Dr. Smarika Lawrance (HOD)||M.Sc. ,B.Ed. Ph.D.|
|Dr. Anjali Dsouza (Dean, Faculty of Life- Science)||M.Sc. , Ph.D.|
|Dr. Sutapa Roy||M.Sc. , Ph.D.|
|Dr. Sweta Likhitkar||M.Sc. ,B.Ed. Ph.D.|
|Dr. Amita Chhatri||M.Sc. , Ph.D.|
|Dr. Manju Gupta||M.Sc. ,B.Ed. Ph.D.|
|Ms. Nidhi Khare||M.Sc. , B.Ed.|
- B.Sc. Chemistry
- M.Sc. Chemistry
- Ph.D. Chemistry
|Certificate Course on Instrumentation and Analytical Techniques in Chemistry and Biochemistry- Level I||2010|
|Certificate Course on Instrumentation and Analytical Techniques in Chemistry and Biochemistry- Level II||2011|
|Cosmetic Grooming and Nutritional Management||2017|
|Basic of IT and office Automation||2017|
|Instrumentation and Analytical technique in Chemistry and Clinical Biochemistry||2019|
|Chemistry of Food: Analysis and Estimation||2019|
- Two days Skill based Training Program for PG students on “Importance of Soil Testing and its Advantage” in collaboration with JawaharlalNehru Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Jabalpur held on 17th – 18th October 2019.
- National Workshop on “Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy Scientific and Societal Applications (FTIR-SSA)” Sponsored by Department of Science & Technology, Govt. Of India held on 27th -28th September, 2019
- National Workshop on “Think Green and Sustainable” sponsored by UGC Bhopal held on 17th – 18th February 2017.
- National Workshop on “Basic and Applied Techniques in Chemistry”, was held from 5th -7th November 2012 sponsored by UGC Delhi.
- Two days intercollegiate PG seminar on “Roadmap to a Successful Career in Chemical Sciences”, 9th -10th March, 2016.
- A seminar for UG and PG students: “Fundamental Principles of Chemistry and Interpersonal Skills”, 19th – 20th March, 2015.
- A two day Interdisciplinary seminar for PG students: “Quest for Career Prospects” was organized from 9th -10th October 2013.
Faculty Development Program:
|International Workshop||National Conference||National Seminar||National Workshop||State level Seminar|
- Departmental News Letter (Disha): Under the editorship of students a departmental newsletter “Disha” is published quarterly on the development related to the field of science especially Chemistry.
- Chemical Society: Chemical Society is a departmental Society, created with a motive to generate curiosity and love towards Chemistry in a simple and fun loving manner through various activities.
- Srijan: It is an inter- departmental activity involving the Bio- Science stream, to tap the hidden talents of our students. This annual activity provides a platform to our students to showcase their talents under various heads. Different activities such as Debates, Antakshari, Quiz competition, Cartoon Making, Poster, Slogan Writing, Imagery writing to enhance their oratory skills, perception, analytical skills, boost their confidence and also teaches them event and financial management skills.
- Extension Activity: To develop a caring attitude towards the emotional and material needs of the underprivileged and disadvantaged section of the society we organize:
- Visit to orphanages, old age homes etc. for the students and faculty members.
- Mini- Fete “Koshish Ek Aasha”
- Financial aid is given to needy students and non-teaching staff.
- 2018: DST WOS-A sanctioned a project entitled “Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy as non-destructive and radip method for residual emerging contaminants in treated water”.
- 2014: A Minor Research Project sanctioned by U.G.C entitled “Designing of Iron oxide containing Super Paramagnetic starch Nanoparticles and Evaluation of Magnetically Guided Release Behavior of some Anti-tumor drug”.
- 2012: Minor Research Project sanctioned by U.G.C entitled “Biosorption of hazardous metals ions from polluted waters – An Eco-friendly and friendly green approach”.
- 2006: Minor Research Project sanctioned by U.G.C entitled “Developing a Cost Effective Method for Analysis, Mitigation and Defluoridation of drinking water in Jabalpur Mandala region”.
- 2005: Minor Research Project sanctioned by U.G.C entitled “Synthesis and Characterization of Ni (II), Co (II) and Zn (II) complexes of some Biologically Active Schiff Base Derived From Sulpha Drug”.
- Publications by the faculty members (Chemistry): 58
- Chapters in Book: 2
- Book Edited: 2