The Department of Economics was established in 1951, under the headship of Prof. J.V. Magima.
“Quality Teaching and Research”
Shall train students to think independently so that they are able to co-relate economic theory with current economic issues.
To establish the economics department as a center of quality teaching and research.
- To utilize the potential of brilliant students.
- To develop critical thinking towards economic issues.
- To develop research aptitude.
- To upgrade weaker students.
- Emphasis is laid on understanding not on memorizing.
- Students are encouraged to participate in co curicular and extra curricular activities.
- P.G. students undertake research activities and publication.
- Various teaching methodologies and tools are used while imparting education.
- Use of SPSS for developing analytical skills.
- COURSESUnder Graduate Courses
The B.A./B.Sc. Course is a three year degree course. Foundation course is a compulsory subject. Economics can be opted as one of the three optional subject.
Post Graduate Course
- M.A. Economics
The M.A. (Economics) course spanning four semesters to impart the necessary skills and capabilities to meet the challenges of vibrant economic environment. The course provides statistical and mathematical approach to the understanding of economic principles and policies. It also helps students to develop overall understanding towards the Indian and the Global economy.The discipline of economics enhances the students understanding towards the dynamic and drastically changing national and international economics scenario.
- Certificate course on “Advertisement and Sales Promotion”
EVENTS / ACTIVITIES
- Under the banner of Economic Forum The Department of Economics organized an One Week Workshop on “Research Methodology and Application of SPSS for Data Analysis” for Final Year and Post Graduates students in all streams from 9th March to 15th March 2022. 52 participants from all over India attended the workshop. The Resource Person for the workshop was Dr. Jai Anand Shukul, Associate Dean (Management & Commerce) Mangalayatan University, Jabalpur. Dr. Shukul gave insight into how the statistical tools are used in research through SPSS.
- Under the banner of Economic Forum Economic Awareness Program was organized by the Department of Economics of St. Aloysius College, Jabalpur on the 15th and 22nd of February, 2022. The main purpose of conducting this awareness program was to enable students to deepen their understanding of the economic issues which shape their lives and to develop the transferable skills of communication, presentation, and general personal and social skills .The program was also aimed to spread awareness among the students with regard to carrier option related with the Economic as the subject. The program was conducted in Kendriya Vidyalaya, CMM and Army public school No2 .The students conducted quiz, small skit and game also. Simar Kapoor,Anamika Sharma, Keshav Kumar,Sahil Namdeo,Biplu Kumar Das, Prachi Rohani, Utkarsh Mukhi, Ishita Singh, Ritul Agrwal, Devanshu Mahawar, Purvi Talreja, Vandna Kushwaha, Devanshu Mahawar, Neelam Mishra, Vikrant Lodhi and Mayur Dutt have participated actively in various activities.
- The Department of Economics organized a Poster Competition on “Economic Empowerment of Women” on the occasion of International Women’s Day on 8th March, 2022. The aim of the celebration was to appreciate the Economic, Political, Social and Cultural achievements and contributions of Indian women from all walks of life. The names of the students were Harshita Rajak, Janvi Panjwani, Ayush Kosta, Priyanshi Ahirwar, Kumkum shekhawat, Aditi Mishra, Anamika Sharma, Amandeep Ghura and Neelam Mishra.
- Amandeep Ghura
- Priyanshi Ahirawar
- Neelam Mishra
- A Nukkad Natak was organized by the Department of Economics on the occasion of Swami Vivekananda Jayanti on 12th January 2022. The Nukkad Natak was organized with the aim of educating and creating awareness amongst the youth about the teachings of Swami Vivekanand .The teachings of Swami Vivekanand can be immense benefit in dire situations of life .The students gave the message that modern Youth is blind folded to what is happening around them and if they want to bring about change they must become aware of the situation .They highlighted Swami Vivekanand’s message that “ Everything that is excellent will come when this sleeping soul is aroused to self-conscious activities.” Priyanshi Ahirwar,Akanksha Mishra, Renu Kulaste,Riya Mishra, Vivek Gupta, Ayushman Pandey, Keshav kumar, Anushika Mishra, Anushree shukla,Tanu Tiwari, Deepesh Soni, Megha Sharma,Tanya Sahu, Harsh Mishra, Subhash Tiwari, Priyanka Jaiswal, Vineet Kumar Singh participated enthusiastically in the Nukkad Natak. 👉Click Here to view Laghu Natika
- The Department of Economics had organized an activity on the topic Farm Bill 2020 on 26th November 2021. It was an open discussion. The aim of the discussion was to provide knowledge on the farm bill and to keep them updated with current affairs. the discussion was started by and introduction which was given by Anurag Gautam , the farm bill consisted of three bills which were explained by Shubhra Jain Garhawal , Priyanshi Pandey and Rishika Bawariya respectively. The advantages and disadvantages were given by Mayur Vishwakarma and Ayush Singh . on moving on further on the topic the parliamentary procedure of the farm bill was explained by Parag Singh Parihar , why the farmers protested? The answer to this question was given by Aradhana Daheriya at the end the conclusion was given by Pravarth Asaiya , the power point presentation was made by Aparna Toppo. This discussion helped these 10 students to learn about the farm bill and improved there speaking skills.
- The Department of Economics had organized an Online UGC NET classes from 25th May to 5th June 2021. The aim of the course is an effort to continue the process of learning that encourages acquiring competencies and skills to develop future opportunities even in unfavorable pandemic conditions. The Guest Speakers were Mr. Vivek Pandey, Mr. Ravi Dwivedi (Gautam IAS Academy) and Dr. Gita Gulati Head, Dept. of Education, Mata Gujri Mahila Mahavidhyalaya, Jabalpur. The number of students benefitted by this course was 91.
- The Department of Economics had organized Online PowerPoint Presentation Competition on “Eminent Women Personality: Contribution towards Economy” on the occasion of International Women’s Day on 8th March, 2021. The aim of the celebration was to appreciate the Economic, Political, Social and Cultural achievements of women from all walks of life and their contribution in all Economic fields. In which the students have presented different views on Eminent Women Personality.
- The Department of Economics has organized a ‘Laghu Natika’ on the occasion of “Swami Vivekanand Jayanti ” on 12th January, 2021. The students depicted the massages given by Swami Viveknand. They also tried to poetry the Impact of Swami Vivekanand Teaching on youth. Shambhvi Bhanot, Komal Arora, Vaishnavi Kansana, Janvi Pnjvani, Tuhin Patel, Prasant Mishra, Rishita Tiwari, Akansha Mishra Priyanshi Gupta, Shreyansh Diwan, Kanha Shrivastav and Pragyesh Borkar have actively participated on the event. 👉Click Here to view Laghu Natika
- Publication of Departmental Newsletter “ The Aloysian Economic Times” Bi-Annual Newsletter 2020
- The Department of Economics had organized Online Workshop on “Entrepreneurship Development” from 15th June – 20th June, 2020. The aim of the workshop was to inspire students to achieve and to enable students to become independent, competent, promising businessmen and to develop and strengthen entrepreneurial skills. The Guest Speakers were Dr. Caroline Saini, Mr. Rahul Agrawal, Dr. Vipin Rai, Dr. Hephzibah John and Mr. Parv Parmar. The number of students benefitted by this workshop was 38. It was very interesting session.
- The Department of Economics organized a national webinar on “Development Strategies for Revival of India Economy after COVID-19” which held on 27th May 2020. The Eminent Speakers were Prof. A.D.N Bajpai, Former Vice chancellor of A.P.S University Rewa, M.G Chitrakoot Gramodayaya University, Chitrakoot and H.P University, Shimla. Prof. Prahlad Kumar, Retd. M.G Chitrakoot Allahabad University, Pragraj, U.P, Prof. S.K. Choubey, Director University Institute of Management, R.D.V.V Jabalpur, Prof, N.G Pendse, Controller of Examination & Head, Department of Economics, R.D.V.V University, Jabalpur and Mr. Prem Dubey, President Jabalpur Chamber of Commerce & Industry Jabalpur. 357 Participants were there in this Webinar.
- Publication of Departmental Newsletter “ The Aloysian Economic Times”
- Economics Forum- The department has a vibrant forum which organises various activities, such as- Budget Discussion, Debate, Extempore, Quiz,Economic Survey etc.
- Review of Articles
- Editorial Review
- Publication of Research Papers by PG Students
- Economic Survey
- Industrial Visit
- The Department of Economics had organized a Guest lecture on 23rd September 2017 on “Make in India” for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students.
- In the series of visits to old age homes and orphanage Rimjha, Jabalpur. Lunch was sponsored by the teachers and students of the department on 26th July 2017.
- Department of Economics in collaboration with Department of Computer Science & Application organized Training Program on “Project Based Learning and Need of Academic Audit in Enhancing the Quality in Higher Education” on 27th & 28thJanuary, 2017 , sponsored by United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia
- Department of Economics in collaboration with Department of Computer Science & Application organized a two days National Conference on “Role of Academic Audit in Enhancing the Quality of Higher Education in India” – 21st and 22ndOctober, 2016.
- The Department of Economics has organized a Special lecture on 20th November 2017 on the topic titled “Samaj Vigyan me Bhartiya”. Prof. Kuldeep Chandra Agnihotri, Hon’ Vice-Chancellor and Prof. A.D.N. Bajpai, Former Vice-Chancellor, Avdhesh Pratap University, Rewa, Gramodya University, Chitrakoot and Himanchal Pradesh University Shimla were the speakers of the function.
- Quiz Competition – The Department of Economics had conducted a Quiz Competition under the banner of the Economic Forum. The quiz was conducted in two phases. In the 1st phase 145 students from the various streams of UG and PG were participated.
- Budget Discussion – Department of Economics had organized Budget Discussion on 12th February 2018. In this discussion 18 students were participated. The expert comment was given by Dr. N.G. Pendse, former Head, P.G. Department of Economics & Research Centre, R.D.V.V., Jabalpur and Prof. S.K. Choubey, Director UIM & Head P.G. Department of Economics & Research Centre, R.D.V.V., Jabalpur.
- Report of Industrial Visit
- The Department of Economics has organized a guest lecture on 13th February, 2019 on the topic “Inclusive Inter-Sectoral Development for Sustainability: Still a Dream”. Prof. A. Ranga Reddy, UGC – Emeritus Professor, Department of Economics, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, was the speaker of the function.
- Department of Economics conducted a quiz competition on 31st August 2018. The quiz was related with the current Economic issues. There were 20 students participated in the quiz competition. To organized this quiz competition the main aim was to help the students to aware the current condition of the economy.
- The Department of Economics has organized a ‘Nukkad Natika’ on the occasion of International Peace Day in the College campus, Jabalpur on 21st September 2019, In which the students have presented a Nukkad Natak on International Peace. 09 students participated in this activity. The name of the students are Shambhvi, Pranjali, Komal, Aayush, Ranjana, Nifat, Ankita, Tuhin and Shryansh.
- Two Days Workshop on “The Application of SPSS for Data Analysis” for Post graduates students in all streams organized by the Department of Economics. The workshop was conducted from 24th September 2019 to 25th September 2019 (02 Days). 47 students were attended this workshop. Dr. Jai Anand Shukul, (Dean, Academics) at LNCT engineering College, Jabalpur was the Resource Person for the workshop. In which sir gave insight into how the statistical tools are used in research through SPSS.
Group Discussion on Impact of Industrial Production on Import and Export
St. Aloysius College (Autonomous) Jabalpur, Department of Economics has Organised Group Discussion under the banner of “Smararan Bharat Ratna Rajeev Gandhi” On 7th September 2019, under which the U.G. and P.G students have participated with enthusiasm. At the beginning of the program Post Graduate students have given input sessions on the respected topic “ Impact of industrial production on import & export”. 21 Students participated in group discussions.The students were divided into four groups and after the discussion every group has presented the outcomes of the discussion drawn by their respected groups. The group discussion was conducted successfully.
Guest Lecture On Entrepreneurship Development
- St. Aloysius College (Auto.), Jabalpur Department of Economics in collaboration with Entrepreneurship Development Cell has organized a Guest Lecture on 1st October 2019 on the topic “Entrepreneurship Development”. Mr. Prem Dubey, President, Jabalpur Chamber of Commerce was the speaker of the function. 90 students were attended this lecture.
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
The departmental members are actively engaged in research and publication. The department edits and publishes the following journals and magazines:
- Ninad – Multidisciplinary Research Journal (Ed. by the Department)
- The Aloysian- College magazine – English section
- The Aloysian Times- Departmental Magazine- Tri – Annual
- Sarthi – Science & Religion Journal (Ed. by the Department)
|Type of Journals||International||National||Others|
|Peer Review Journals||16||15||–|
|Non-Peer Review Journals||02||01||01|
|With ISBN NO.||Without ISBN No.||Chapters in Edited Books|