The Department of English was founded and established by Rev. Fr. Van. Englan, in 1951. Ever since its inception in the year 1951, the Department of English has been on an onward march towards excellence. The Department of English working with the motto of “Persevere-Excel-Promote Quality” aims to hone the linguistic skills of the second language learners and strengthen the literary talents of the UG and PG students opting for English Literature. The students graduating from the Department have distinguished themselves both in language and literary studies and have earned laurels for the college by their remarkable and outstanding success in different walks of life.
- To achieve the above objectives we shoulder the responsibility of moulding the character of students through the teaching learning process.
- We aim to build a healthy relationship with the students by combining academic excellence with higher values of life.
- We attempt to promote quality research and advanced methods of teaching for the effective dissemination of knowledge to enhance professional skills.
An outstanding contribution of the Department has been in the field of Functional English. As a result of exemplary teaching many of our alumni hold very responsible posts in the field of mass media and communication. To further enhance this training and facilitate still better learning of the nuances of the subject, a language laboratory has been set up, and is fully functional.
To upgrade the standard of English, regular Remedial Classes and Spoken English courses are held. The progress of students is monitored through tutorial classes, Surprise tests, and C.C.E’s that ensure better performance of the students.
Merit positions in the University have been bagged consistently by our students both at the graduate and the post graduate levels. All members of the department are actively engaged in research work and contribute to the discipline.
- Degree Course – B.A. (English Literature/Functional English)
- Post-Graduation – M.A. (English Literature)
- Certificate Courses
- “Foreign Language-Basic French”
- “Proficiency in English-LSRW”
- “Spoken English”
SEMINARS / WORKSHOP / CONFERENCES / WEBINARS / ONLINE CERTIFICATE COURSE
- The Department organised an Online National Seminar on 3-4 September 2022 on “A Tribute to Khushwant Singh: A Writer of Protean Sensibilities”. Dr. Neelanjana Pathak, was the Coordinator and Dr. Niharika Singh was the Convenor of the seminar.
- Online Certificate Course – Spoken English ( 19th November – 19th December 2020 )
- Online Certificate Course – Proficiency in English ( 26th August – 12th September 2020 )
- An International Webinar on ‘English for Digital Fluency in Post Pandemic Era ‘
- A UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Changing Trends in New Indian Poetry in English: Challenges and Directions”, 10-11 February 2012
- One day state level symposium on “Literacy: Time to Act for Nation Building” in collaboration with SRC, Bhopal on 19 February 2010.
- A one day workshop on “Textual, Bibliographical and Editorial Skills” on 29th Jan. 2008
- Two workshops on “Phonetics of English” from 19th to 23rd Nov, 2007 and from 26th Nov. to 1st Dec,2007.
EVENTS / ACTIVITIES
- Alumna Lecture by Ms. Neha Mahawar on The importance of Non Verbal Communication in our day to day life on 20/11/2020
- Prof. G.A . Ghanshyam ‘ Communicate to Facilitate’ 4th August 2019
- Alumna Lecture by Ms. Kanika Shinde, ‘Poetry and its form’, 17th July 2019
- Professor, Prof. J. K. Verma, ‘A Study of Indian Writers in English’, 21st January 2019
- Dr. Shilpi Bhattacharya, ‘Study of Fiction?’, 08th January 2019
- Professor A. Joseph Dorairaj Dean, School of English ‘What is Literature?’ 17th December 2018
- Mr. Shubham Arpit Dutta, ‘Natyashasra’, 30th September 2018.
- Dr. Meena Keller, ‘Phonetics’ 10th August 2018.
- Mrs. Geetanjali Sehgal, Columnist ‘The Times of India’, ‘Conversations in Life’ 9th February 2018
- Ms. Shruti Kohli ‘Interpersonal Skills’,31 July 2017
- Sqn. Ldr. Prashant Dubey ‘Language Lab Training Programme’ 21st August 2017
- Dr. Urbashi Barat ‘IC Analysis &Its Ambiguities’, 3rd February 2017
- Dr. Madhumalti Adhikari ‘Reading Fiction’, 21 September, 2016
- Dr. Vineeta Kaur Saluja ‘Effective Communication”, 16 September, 2016.
- Dr. Alok Chansoria ‘Phonetics’, 19 & 20 August, 2015.
- Ms. Nishi Sharma ‘Understanding Poetry’, 26 September, 2014.
- Dr. Usha Kalley ‘Madam Bovary’, 4 March, 2014.
- Dr. Rosy Misra ‘IC Analysis’, 20 February, 2014.
- Tulsi Ratna awardee Dr Akhilesh Gumastha, ‘Sunderkand’ 25 September, 2013
- Dr. Archana Pathak ‘Image and Imagery’, 1 February, 2013
- Dr. Pratibha Kumar ‘Importance of body Language’, 14 March, 2012
- Dr. Abha Pandey ‘Victorian Age’, 25 September, 2011
- Dr. Pankaj Shukla ‘Career Prospects in Media’, 21 September, 2011
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
The departmental members are actively engaged in research and publication. The department edits and publishes the following journals and magazines:
- Ninad – Multidisciplinary Research Journal (Ed. by the Department)
- The Aloysian- College magazine – English section
- The Aloysian Times- College News Latter
- Visits to local Hospice, orphanage, home for the aged and schools for the blind.
- The Joy of Caring campaign.
- Engage honorary classes of Basic English in remote schools.
- State Literacy drive through posters, slogans and spreading awareness.
- Lit-Fest under the aegis of Literact club is organized to showcase the literary leanings of the students and accord a platform for creativity through competitions.
- Panel discussions in the classrooms.
- Bridge classes are conducted by the M.A. final year students for B.A. I and M.A. I semester students.
- Publication of departmental magazine as news bulletin of the college The Aloysian Times, thrice a year.
- Participating in international, national conferences, seminars, and workshops.
- Publication of The Aloysian, annual College Magazine.
- Enactment is organized twice a year.
- Movie screening.
- Book reading sessions.
- Students participation in intercollegiate, inter district, inter university, central, and zonal levels extra-curricular activities.
|Type of Journals||International||National||Others|
|Peer Review Journals||16||15||–|
|Non-Peer Review Journals||02||01||01|
|With ISBN NO.||Without ISBN No.||Chapters in Edited Books|