Department of Commerce works with a motto in “Pursuit of Excellence”. Since its establishment in the year 2003-04 the department has been at the forefront in catering to the needs of students pursuing UG and PG courses in commerce. The department focuses on imparting to its students holistic knowledge. Practical knowledge is imparted to student through various add-on courses, beyond curricular scholarly activities and training programs to bridge the gap between academia and industry .The faculty members are also actively involved in research and publication activities to broaden their horizon and explore new frontiers of knowledge.
Dr. Sonal Rai is Dean, Faculty of Commerce and Dr. Rupali Ahluwalia is the Head of Department. Dr. Mrs. Tarvinder Kaur Kainth is the Coordinator for Honours and Dr. Mrs. Ashu Jain Nougaraiya is the Coordinator of Tax Procedure and Practice.
To nurture intelligence and deeper commitment towards human welfare..
To facilitate an in-depth reflection and analysis of issues, problems and concerns, in order to assist and further the transformation that society needs
To articulate a positive approach to contemporary issues and offer ideas and opportunities of service and outreach in an academic environment.
- Courses Offered
- Applied Economics
- Tax Procedure and Practice
- Computer Applications
- B.Com. Honors
- M.Com. (with CBCS- Choice Based Credit System)
- B.Com. With US CMA (3 years degree program)
- The course will cover the CMA (Certified Management Accountant) content in 2 years and the content is divided in two parts-
- Part I- Financial Planning, Performance and Analytics.
- Part II- Strategic Financial Management.
- The exam will be conducted in third year. This certification is recognized by top MNC’s in India and across the world.
Certificate Courses and Add -On Courses
Name of the Course Sponsored by Duration Certificate Course in Computerized Accounting & Management with GST Tally Self Financed 6 months Certificate Course for Tax Return Filing Self Financed 6 months Certificate Course on Practical applicability of GST Self Financed 6 months Certificate Programm in Banking, Finance and Insurance Bajaj Finserv 3 Months
Programme-wise Student Teacher Ratio
- B. Com – 57:1
- B.Com Honors – 30:1
- Organized 02 days ICSSR sponsored National Seminar on “Role of Skill Development in transforming Indian Workforce” on 13th & 14th December, 2019.
- Organized 02 days UGC sponsored National Seminar on “New Dimensions in Corporate Social Responsibility” on 20th & 21st January, 2017.
- Organized 02 days National Seminar on “Make in India – Key for Economic Growth in India” Funded by ICSSR, New Delhi from 18th to 19th March, 2016.
- Organized 02 days UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Foreign Direct Investment: Indian Market Invasions and Economic Reforms” on 28th & 29th March, 2014.
- Guest lecture by Dr. S.K. Pahwa, Principal G.S. College of Commerce and Economics on management accounting held on 4th September 2017 for BCOM V semester students.
- Workshop on “GST in India: a step ahead in indirect tax” organized by department of tax procedure and practice was conducted on 15th September 2017. The chief guest of the event was Dr. S.K. Pahwa, Principal G.S. College of Commerce and Economics and keynote speaker was Mr. Narayan Mishra, Joint Commissioner Commercial Tax Jabalpur Division I and Mrs. Abha Jain, Deputy Commissioner Commercial Tax Jabalpur Circle I.
- Guest lecture by Abhishek Agrawal, Director TIME Institute on interview skills on 18th August 2017 for BCOM III semester Students.
- Seven Days Workshop on “GST TALLY” for Faculty Members Organized by Department of Tax Procedure & PracticeIn Collaboration with Department of Computer Application.The workshop was conducted from 21st August 2017 to 28th August 2017 (07 Days).Mr. Ashish Thakur, Director, Tally Institute, Baldeobagh Jabalpur was the Resource Person for the workshop.
- Health awareness program by Dr. Sonal Riccharia gynecologist, city hospital JBP and secretary, Jabalpur obstetrics and gynecological society and Dr. Chitra Jain, dietician on women health and hygiene held on 10th November 2017 for girl students of BCOM I and II year
- Parent teachers meeting was on 25th November 2017 for all the BCOM I year students at 12:30 pm
- 4 days workshop cum crash course on GST organized by department of commerce in collaboration with CGST Department, Jabalpur with participation by 200 students of B.Com. VI Sem. The Chief Guest of the Inaugural Session was Shri Manish Jaiswal, Joint Comm. CGST Department, Jabalpur and chief guest of valedictory function was Mr. P.K. Agrawal, Commissioner CGST department, Jabalpur.
- 2 Days National Workshop on e-Learning MOOCs and basic ICT tools for educators. The chief Guest was Professor A.K. Bakshi, Vice chancellor PDM University and guest of honor was Dr. Vimal Rarh, Joint director GADTLC, New Delhi.
- 7 days GST week was organized by CGST Department, Jabalpur in which 50 students participated in various activities conducted by the department from 1st July 2018 to 7th July 2018.
- Participation of Students of Commerce in GST week from 1st July 2018 to 7th July 2018 organized by Custom and GST department.
- Extention Activity
It’s not about being perfect but all about the amount of efforts that we put in . A person’s most valuable asset is never a head full of knowledge, but a heart full of love, an ear ready to listen and a hand willing to help others and then reveal the greatest version of themselves. The Aloysian fraternity equalises intellectual hike with philanthropy. We are fortunate enough to witness the goodness of our college through the “Extension Activity” organised by the department of Applied Economics and Honours on 1st March, 2019 in order to instill the values of cooperation, compassion, kindness unconditional love, respect for others and equanimity.
Students of first years of both streams took a joint move by collecting funds and brought lunch boxes .After the purchase, with heart-filled with gratitude, distributed the boxes to the non- teaching staff, as a mark of thankful gesture for offering their selfless service, which often works behind the curtains and act as limelight success of every major and minor event of our prestigious institution.
- Commencement of B.Com with US CMA on 1st August 2019.
- Bridge Classes for science background students conducted by Deartment of Tax held from 30th July to 7th August 2019
- Samwaad on “license Raaj Se Mukti Ka Desh Ki Vanijya Pranali Par Prabhav” was organised under “Smaran” Bharat Ratan Rajeev Gandhi Program conducted by Department of Commerce (Tax) on 20th Aug 2019.
- Inauguration ceremony of Certificate Programme in Banking, Finance and Insurance CPBFI was organised on 22 August 2019. Mr. Ajay sathe head customer relations and CSR of Bajaj graced the occasion. The program was inaugurated and students kit was distributed.
- On the occasion of Birth Anniversary of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel Department of Tax organised speech competition on Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel on 24 th October 2019. 7 students participated in the event and 3 winners were selected whereby 1 st position was secured by Ms. Aditi Pawar of B.Com. I year Tax “C”, 2 nd position by Mr. Rohan Upadhyay of B.Com. I year Tax “D” and 3 rd position was secured by Ms. Neeti Sharma of B.Com I year Tax “D”. Dr. Reena Thomas (Department of Hindi) and Dr. Niharika Singh (Department of English) were the judges of the competition.
- Organised Poster Making And Presentation Competition on 23th October 2019 on the topic Polution Free Deepawali by the department. Dr. Shikha Bansal and Dr. Priyanka Sinha were the judges. In which Amber Mishra student of B.Com. I year Applied Economics secured the first position.
- On the occasion of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel’s Birthday Department of Tax organised Quiz competition on Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel on 24 th October 2019. 4 Groups participated in the event and 1 group was declared the winner. The competition was conducted in 3 rounds and in each round 1 group was eliminated and winner group was from B.Com. II year Tax ‘F’.
- Department of Commerce Organised one day International Micro seminar on “Audit finance, Motivation and Professional grooming” on 2 November 2019. The Guest Speaker of the Seminar Was Mr. Jawaid Ali, Chief Internal Auditor, Saudi Maintenance Company (SIYANCO) Riyadh. He focused on the professional attitude and skills which a student should have while preparing their Curriculum Vitae and gave input on how a commerce graduate should portray themselves in the market while appearing in an interview. In the seminar more than 500 students attended and were benefitted by inputs given by the expert. The seminar was convened by Dr. Ashu Jain, Coordinator, Department of Tax Procedure (Commerce).
- Organised the Essay Writing Competiotion on 9th October 2019 to celebrate the birth anniversary of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. In which Ekta Amlani, the student of B.Com II year got the first rank.
- Organised the Speech Competiotion on 14th October 2019 on the topic Teachings and Achievements of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam and contributions towards the nation, in which Ms. Himani Shrivastava the student of B.Com Ist year got the first rank.
- Organised the Essay Writing Competiotion on 14th November 2019 to celebrate the birth anniversary of Pt. Jawahar lal Nehru, In which Sushil Kispotta, the student of B.Com II year (Hons) got the first rank.
- To encourage the students to widen their knowledge, an Inter-Class Management and Economics Quiz Competition was organized for Applied Economics & Honours ,I year students on 8th February ,2020 in which 40 students participated.
IMA, The Institute of Management Accountants holds a Global Student Case Competition every year.For which a case is given to the students that tests the analytical and illustrative power of the students, in areas of Accountancy, Management and Finance. After devising a solution, the students had to present by recording a Youtube video and upload it.Open Internationally, the Student Members of IMA are welcomed to participate and showcase their Management Accounting skills.Two teams of St. Aloysius College, Jabalpur submitted their solutions, out of which one was selected in the Final 4 in the globally acclaimed competition.The participants are Avantika Shukla, Devansh Gulabwani, Om Gupta and Srishti Chadda as team members and Harbaksh Moolchandani as Faculty Advisor.Along with Global representation and Finalist certificates, the students have also received a cash prize of $3000.
Research and Publication
- Books authored – 9
- Books Edited – 08
- Minor Research Projects – 09
- Monograph Published – 03
- Chapters in Books – 151
- National Seminars Attended by Faculty Members – 241
- International Seminars Attended by Faculty Members – 37
- Papers published in peer reviewed journals – 75
Major Research Projects
- Dr. Rupali. Ahluwalia received a research project sanctioned by Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA) on the topic “India- ASEAN Trade Potentials (2018-2021)
Doctoral / Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- Dr. Rupali. Ahluwalia was awarded a Post – Doctoral Fellowship sanctioned by ICSSR on the topic “An Analysis of Indo- ASEAN trade potentials – Role of WTO” (2013-2015)
|Type of Journals||International||National||Others|
|Peer Review Journals||32||28||–|
|Non-Peer Review Journals||03||03||11|
|With ISBN NO.||Without ISBN No.||Chapters in Edited Books|